HEATHER CARLSON, INTERN
I have always had a curious and reflective mind; it is simply in my nature to seek to understand and make sense of the world around me. I have long-known that this same drive to make meaning of my life experiences and relationships also helps open my heart for others as they face life transitions and challenges. It is through my therapeutic work that I found a way to help others in a professional capacity.
As someone who has been in a committed relationship for over 2o years, experiencing the trials and tribulations of raising a family with my partner, I became eager to work with couples who face the long-term challenges of romantic partnership. It is through an Attachment Theory lens that I work with couples, helping them understand the underlying emotions fueling the patterns of their relationship. Emotionally Focused Therapy, an evidence-based and proven therapy model for long-term relationship satisfaction, is the therapeutic model I use to create safety, heal wounds, and form new healthy patterns of interaction within a couple’s relationship.
The aim of my work with couples is to help them learn to negotiate their thoughts and feelings with more awareness and resiliency, and develop a greater capacity to work through life’s obstacles together. It is a courageous act to seek change, and I approach my clinical work with a deep understanding of how difficult the first steps towards therapy can be. Because I am a wife, a mother, and also a professional, I bring clinical training and lived experiences to my warm and approachable style of therapy. I will be encouraging you every step of the way on your journey to a more satisfying relationship between you and your partner.
I am currently an intern at Colorado Couples & Relationship Therapy under the supervision of Rachel Weddle, MA, LMFT. I am working towards finalizing a Master’s Degree from Regis University in Marriage & Family Therapy.
Trainings & Experience:
- Intern, Sandstone Care, Broomfield, CO. Sandstone Care offers substance use and behavioral & mental health therapy and counseling services to young adults, adolescents, and their families (Current).
- Emotionally Focused Therapy, CORE Skills Training, Boulder, CO. Advanced EFT Skills Training , Robert Allen, Ph.D., 2020
- Depth-Psychology & Self-of-the-Therapist Symposium, Boulder, CO, Year-long participation in monthly symposium sponsored by NAROPA University with Julie Colwell, Ph.D., 2019-2020
- Solution Focused Therapy Training, Boulder, CO. Solution Focused Training for high conflict couples, Michele Wiener-Davis, MSW, 2019
- Emotionally Focused Therapy, Externship Training, Boulder, CO. Foundational EFT skills training, Robert Allen, Ph.D., 2019
- American Association of Marriage & Family Therapists
- International Center for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Boulder Community for Emotionally Focused Therapy